Please forgive the photography below, I can't seem to get my color right today (snow, then blizzard, then bright sun, then artificial light. Michigan!).
1. I started wanting just these few blooms and buds on the paper with plenty of space for later embellishment. If you've looked at my "gallery" page you know that's what I do often.
2. The blooms weren't popping enough for me with no background: I wanted a reason for the cast shadow to be that strong, so I added the dark circle behind.
3. I needed SUMMERTIME colors (don't we all right about now?) so I added irregular "tiles" of yellow washes. At this point I already knew the dark circle was overwhelming the page, so I scrubbed it down to a mid-tone. I liked the 'outlines' it gave me. Then I turned on my light-table and got started with one of my patterns, in a large scale.
4. I added an orange glaze to the scrubbed circle to give it warmth and depth, then added more layers of patterns, but switching to a more detailed small scale pattern. The detail below left shows that more clearly. I also darkened the values below the dark circle to "hold it up" visually.
All in all, I feel like I made MOST (all) of my design decisions too quickly. I may end up liking this because of the layered patterns. Or I may end up re-darkening the circle behind the daylily and then cropping the heck out of the whole thing.
I think I need to go start something else!