Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Half a Studio is better than None

I decided to  be creative for the floor, choosing a diagonal checkerboard of the standard (in-stock) colors I found at Home Depot. I was afraid the white was too bright and the beige too dark!

I found an excellent demo from Armstrong floors on Youtube which I watched several times. It reminded me that one had to start in the middle of the floor and work to the edges.  There were wonderful geometry-like steps to make a perfect diagonal starting from the middle, and they worked perfectly.   I just wish I'd paid more attention to which half of the floor to start on.  I spread the glue on the back half of the room and waited. And waited. And waited for it to be tacky-dry enough to start. Then laid the tiles you see. Don't they look wonderful?

So, the next step is to spread glue on the rest of the floor. Wait for it to dry enough. And again, go back to the middle to lay my next tiles. 

Are you asking yourself  how the @#$^$# am I going to get BACK to the middle, across that very strong glue?  I sure am. Stay tuned. I think this project is stretching out a bit longer than I had hoped. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Katherine, thanks for stopping by chaotic blog! I read that you are a fellow Michigander. Your paintings are wonderful; I especially enjoy the way you deconstruct images and the pattern you use in backgrounds; they almost appear to be stencil-like in quality but yet I think not? Kanuga camp looked interesting as well. Happy Painting. I am adding you to my blog roll so I can continue to enjoy your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy, thanks so much for your compliment. I've only recently begun the "deconstruction" process (on studio as well as images!) but when my studio REconstruction is completed, I hope to pursue that more. You are right that the patterns are not stencils. Generally I work out a doodle or design onto cheap sketchbook paper in the scale I need, then use my beloved light table to transfer the design to the painting (painting directly, in the dark!). I avoid drawing any of the design onto the watercolor paper before I paint, it seems to look better that way although I haven't figured out why that is.

    ReplyDelete