Monday, April 16, 2012

Day One at Kanuga

So, what did I learn today at Kanuga?
Well, first, it's ONLY day one. These pictures are of washes and salt experiments, from which I won't see the results anyway until tomorrow, when the salt has truly dried.
If it works out, I'll post the end results tomorrow afternoon.
In the meantime, yes, even after all these years, I think I can as of today do a better plain or graded wash, even on large areas, than I could have yesterday.  Going from one color to another, even more challenging, but I got better.
Mostly, though, Judy Morris is and will continue to teach us about design, and her technique for finding interesting stories and images within her photographs.  She has already showed how she combines images from multiple source photos in her paintings, and we are starting into using our black and white photos,  along with markers, scissors, tape,  in order to get rid of the problems in the design BEFORE you paint. Wouldn't it be nice not to have to crop them out?  As I noted in my sketch book, from her lecture - if it bothers you in the photo, it WILL bother you in the painting, so may as well fix it first INTEAD of thinking you can figure it out later. I already know that doesn't work! 
Well, off to the evening presentation (Ken Goldman), then homework, then some well deserved and needed sleep!


1 comment:

  1. I have no idea what kind of work and attention this involves, but I enjoy looking at it, seeing all the variations. Your color choices?

    ReplyDelete