Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Curse is Broken!!!

Finally,  I have moved past the holidays and managed to pick up a paintbrush.  Painters' block?
Before the holidays I was excited about my dogwood abstract series, with each painting bringing me ideas about what I wanted to try next. The series has carried me to places far from my normal comfort zone.  It was difficult for me to set that aside as the holidays began to absorb more and more of my time (can  any of you identify with this feeling? Is there someone who doesn't identify?).  However, the path I had been following was so far from my normal style/subject, it has made it  impossible for me to pick that back up where I left off. Trust me, I tried, looking around the studio, ruining a few in-progress paintings before leaving in disgust.
But this weekend I decided to take it easy on myself. Very easy.  I went back to representational/floral. Not only that, I pulled out my envelope of tracing paper drawings and treated myself to re-using a couple of them, so no drawing at all.  And since I couldn't easily find the original source photo, I had only the outlines of the drawing to inspire me.  Here is the first one I did, a hosta leaf and blossom where I just had fun "coloring", like I did as a child. 
The next one, with a similar genesis, is still a WIP and I won't share it just yet.
But at least I have restarted for the year.
How are all of YOU doing?  Based on the blogs I'm following, it looks like most of you are already up and running for 2014 - thanks to all of you for your inspiration!

3 comments:

  1. I really like this one; colors are WOW and very appealing. Sometimes it's just hard to get started after a lull so don't be too hard on yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful, Katherine. Love the colors and esp. the design.
    I've been in a slump for the past year, various things affecting my (in)ability to focus and commit ... very unsatisfying! Finally getting back to at least wetting the paints regularly, which I hope will lead to better things. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooo, so beautifully painted and such lovely colors!

    ReplyDelete