So, first the "finished" product. At least, I'm done with it and this is how it will always look. This painting gave me a more than a few challenges before I gave up, and a couple of technical lessons too.
In a recent post I described using caran d’ache to transfer a drawing onto the tracing paper. Neat, no? Well, not entirely. In the detail I have included, you can see how something about the material is affecting the wash that touches it. Something waxy maybe? Anyway I saw halo effects anytime I did a wash up against one of the lines. So that’s lesson one.
In the same detail you can see the cobalt violet I used, a new color to me, but from my normal and trusted brand, Da Vinci. I don’t like this paint at all even if the color is difficult to mix from others: this pigment is strangely syrupy in the palette, and as you can see, went onto the paper looking like a kid’s crayon!! Additional washes or scrubbing did not fix the texture. Avoid it unless it’s an effect you like - glad I don’t love the painting, or this would tick me off.
After this experience I am taking a (well-deserved) break from abstracting and abstracts. I need me some good old representational comfort! That should show up in my next post.